Tuesday, June 19, 2007

sad

Today I covered a memorial service for two area college students that died in a car accident Saturday. These events are always tough, but today's - I will never forget.

It is my goal, while covering a funeral or anything of the like, to try to be completely invisible. I'm not there to get up close and personal - i'm there to be an observer and hopefully grab a couple of telling photos.

I was standing outside the back entrance of the room, where there was standing room only. Next to a photo display of the two students.
A little girl walks out of the room, holding a stuffed kitty, with (an adult) in tow. She runs to the photo display and grabs one off of the table, that was in a frame. So saddened by everything, she lays down on the floor, with her face resting on the picture. She's crying, (and i'm about 4 feet away) and cannot be consoled. Soon, the words "I want my daddy back" come out of her mouth, over and over. Not loud, not whiny - but genuinely heart broken. Unable to fully comprehend what happened, what's going on - she just knows that she's never going to see her daddy again.

It was honestly the most real moment I've ever had in my career. Watching, hearing, this little girl express herself the only way she knew how.

The picture frame was put back onto the table, wet from her tears for only a moment, then they dried. It's just something i'll never forget.

The message of the day was 'tell people that you love them'.

I will not miss this opportunity to tell you - I LOVE YOU ALL. :)

1 comment:

yellowgirl said...

you literally just made me cry